What, when & where
CHORD conference call for papers – Retailing and Distribution in the Twentieth Century
8 September 2020
University of Wolverhampton, UK
CHORD invites submissions for a conference that aims to explore retailing and distribution in the twentieth century (and the early twenty-first).
Papers focusing on any geographical area or topic are welcome. We invite both experienced and new speakers, including speakers without an institutional affiliation. Potential speakers are welcome to discuss their ideas with the organiser before submission.
Some of the themes that might be considered include (but are not limited to):
* Supermarkets, department stores, chain stores, cooperatives
* Small-scale and independent shops
* Shopping and shopkeeping
* Mail order, TV and internet shopping
* Shopping malls and high streets
* Not-for-profit, charity and ethical retailers
* Modernity and tradition in retailing
* Transport, distribution, wholesaling and technology
* Display, advertising and marketing
* Debt and credit
* Retailing, shopping and leisure
* Legislation, trade organisations and regulation
* Retailing, distribution and politics
The conference will be held on Wolverhampton City Campus, University of Wolverhampton, a short walk from Wolverhampton’s bus and train stations and city centre. Individual papers are usually 20 minutes in length, followed by 10 minutes for questions and discussion. We also welcome shorter, 10 minute ‘work in progress’ presentations, also followed by 10 minutes for discussion.
Deadline & how to apply
To submit a proposal, please send title and abstract of c.300 to 400 words, specifying whether you are proposing a 10 or a 20 minute presentation (as a word or similar file, please, rather than a pdf) to Laura Ugolini, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 May 2020.
Other info, Links & conditions
The call for papers is available here: https://retailhistory.wordpres
Find out more about CHORD here: www.wlv.ac.uk/chord<http://www
For any further information, please e-mail Laura Ugolini at: email@example.com