Call for papers for the III conference “communication across cultures” to be held in Warsaw, 6-7 december 2018.
What, when & where
The purpose of this conference is to create a forum for discussions on hanges in the perception of cultural and linguistic identities in an academic environment. It aims to explore the evolution of communication styles taking place in today’s globalized and multicultural societies.
Organizers invite representatives from the departments of humanities and social sciences who are interested in exchanging theoretical and practical approaches to these phenomena and processes: on a global, national or regional level; from disciplinary, intercultural, cognitive and educational perspectives.
Therefore, the conference aims to bring together scholars and practitioners from the fields of anthropocentric linguistics; anthropological linguistics; linguistic anthropology; identity and cultural studies; SLA, ESP and English as a lingua franca.
The themes that will be discussed and analyzed during the conference will be related broadly to the following issues:
• Multiple identities and Englishes in academic communication
• Interdisciplinarity, and the structure and functions of academic texts
• Multiculturalism: theoretical and practical challenges
• Identity negotiation in cultural and academic contexts; cross-cultural perspectives
• English as a lingua franca and ‘national’ discourses
Deadline & how to apply
Abstracts of no more than 300 words including references should be sent as MS Word attachment to email@example.com by 23rd September, 2018. Please, include your name, affiliation and email address in the body of the email, not in the abstract itself. Notifications of acceptance will be communicated by 7th October, 2018.
The language of the conference will be English.
Papers will be allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions.
Other info, Links & conditions
- Institute of English Studies, University of Social Sciences, Warsaw
- College for Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Wroclaw
- Committee for Philology of Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw Branch
SPEAKERS WHO HAVE ALREADY CONFIRMED THEIR PARTICIPATION
• Prof. Ray Fabri, Institute of Linguistics and Language Technology, University of Malta, Malta
• Prof. Ken Hyland, University of East England, Norwich, England
• Prof. zw. dr hab. dr h.c. (multi) Franciszek Grucza, University of Social Sciences, Warsaw
• Prof. zw. dr hab. Piotr P. Chruszczewski and dr Aleksandra R. Knapik, College for Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Wroclaw
• Prof. zw. dr hab. Tomasz Krzeszowski, University of Social Sciences, Warsaw
see more job opportunities.