Blues in the 21st Century – Myth, Social Expression and Transculturalism
Dates: 23-24 November 2018
The conference will be held in Catania, at the Department of Political and Social Sciences, University of Catania (http://www.dsps.unict.it), from 23-24 November, 2018.
They invite contributions on themes that may include (but are not limited to):
– The Blues in film and media, or social media
– Performers and performance (current or historical perspectives)
– Typologies of Blues performance (festivals, street music, busking, etc.)
– Socio-political phenomena, music of protest
– History and cultural heritage, African roots, etc.
– Impact on literature and other cultural forms
– Urban/rural musical contexts and identities
– White and black identity issues
– Forms of audience participation
– Musical travel and forms of tourism linked to the Blues
– Blues and Gender
– Blues and kindred/related styles
– Future of the Blues (e.g. Rap, etc.)
– National scenes and their differences/analogies
– Blues and Marketing (foundations, awards, challenges)
Abstracts of not more than 250 words should be sent, by 30 June 2018 to Uwe Zagratzki (email@example.com) and Douglas Mark Ponton (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please indicate your name, professional/academic affiliations, a postal address and email. Authors will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by 15 July.
Selected contributions will be included in a peer-reviewed volume for publication.