The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
What, when & where
Postdoctoral position in Humanistic Ageing Studies
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral position at the Department of Foreign Languages, by plan starting 1 June 2018. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years and is connected to the research project “Historicizing the Ageing Self: Literature, Medicine, Psychology, Law” (The Ageing Self project).
The Department of Foreign Languages spans nine different languages, and teaching and research are conducted in the disciplines language/linguistics, literature, cultural studies and didactics (Dep of Foreign Languages ). The Department has around 50 permanent academic staff members, along with post-doc fellows, around twenty PhD candidates and eleven administrative members of staff.
The research project is based at the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Bergen and funded until September 2021 by the SAMKUL programme of the Norwegian Research Council (the SAMKUL programme). The postdoctoral project to be carried out within the three year period must be located in the field of humanistic ageing studies and share some of the main objectives of the larger research project. The applicants should define their own project within the framework of Western cultural/conceptual history, and with a main focus on literary/philosophical and scientific discourses on ageing and old age. The person employed is expected to work in Bergen as part of the project team and to take part in tasks and activities related to the SAMKUL project (i.e. work meetings, project events, editing).
Deadline & how to apply
Application deadline: 31 March 2018
Qualifications and eligibility
The candidate must hold a Norwegian PhD-degree or an equivalent degree in a subject area with relevance for the SAMKUL project or have submitted his or her doctoral dissertation for evaluation within the closing date of the application. It is a condition for appointment that the dissertation is approved.
The applicants must be able to work independently in a well-structured way and have good cooperation skills. In assessing the applications, both the academic quality of the project and the applicant’s academic qualifications will be considered (publications and other relevant experience).
The selection criteria will include, listed in order of priority:
- Publications within the field of humanistic ageing studies
- Qualifications in cultural and conceptual history
- Interdisciplinary orientation
- Language skills, especially English
In cases where ranked applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, strategic considerations, motivation and the applicant’s professional eligibility will also weigh in.
The proposal shall include a progress plan and outline plans for publication in international, academically recognized publication channels.
The postdoctoral position demands that the applicant has his or her regular workplace at the University of Bergen, Department of Foreign Languages and comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
How to apply
Applications must be sent electronically via the link on this site: “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”. The applicant must use the electronic CV-form. The application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these must be the main advisor for the PhD-thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and diploma for the PhD or documentation showing that the thesis has been submitted for assessment.
- A short summary of the PhD-thesis (up to 3 pages).
- Relevant certificates/references.
- A summary of the proposed project (up to 5 pages, excluding the bibliography).
- A progress plan for the proposed project.
- Bibliography for the proposed project.
- List of publications (including scientific and other publications)
- Any publications in the applicant’s name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. Attachments can be either in Word of pdf-format.
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57 (Code 1352/Pay range 24) in the state salary scale, currently approx. NOK 490.500 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits.
Other info, Links & conditions
Further information about the appointment process here.
Questions or inquiries about the electronic application process can be directed to: email@example.com