What: Tenure Track Position in African American History. The Department of African American Studies at Northwestern University invites applications to fill a tenure-track position in African American history at the rank of associate or full professor, to begin September 1, 2018.
Conditions: We seek a scholar with teaching and research interests in African American history post Reconstruction to 1945. The applicant’s area of specialty is open, but historians who work on gender, labor, incarceration, or internationalism are particularly welcome. The appointment will be in the Department of African American Studies within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. Candidates with administrative and/or leadership experience and a national profile are particularly welcome.
Deadline: October 27, 2017
How to apply: Applications and supporting documents will be accepted only by online submission at the following link http://www.afam.northwestern.edu/about/open-positions.html. Application materials should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, writing sample of no more than 25 pages or article length manuscript, and the names and contact information of three recommenders. For full consideration, applications should be submitted by October 27, 2017. Inquiries about the search may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be “saved as” or “printed to” PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. (Your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation if you become a finalist. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee will not receive the instructions). Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 7 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the “Submit Application” button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by Oct. 27, 2017 will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
Other info/Link: If you have any questions about submitting your application, please contact Suzette Denose at (847) 467-3466 or email@example.com.